You are here: The Council > Duties
A general description of the Council’s responsibilities and activities.
The Council’s meetings are held on the second Wednesday evening of every month at Canolfan Gymdeithasol Llanengan at 7:00 p.m.; they are open to the public but not for participation. Members of the public are urged to contact the Clerk with their comments or concerns as the Council believes it is vital to have a good relationship with its residents.
The Council is responsible for providing a variety of services within the area it represents and operates openly and transparently for the benefit and on behalf of the entire community.
Some of the responsibilities are:
- set the precept, i.e. the annual tax that the Council receives from Cyngor Gwynedd Council
- submit comments on planning applications to Cyngor Gwynedd Council’s Planning Committee
- maintain its lands and property, namely Aber-soch and Mynytho Playing Fields, Bwlch Cemetery Extension, Lôn Traeth Public Toilets, Bwlchtocyn and Nanhoron bus shelters, Foel Gron and Village Green, Mynytho, and the public footpaths (a portion of the maintenance cost is reimbursed by Cyngor Gwynedd Council)
- contribute towards applications for financial support twice a year (October and March) received from charities/groups/societies on condition that a current balance sheet is also submitted, in accordance with the Council’s Policy/Financial Regulations
- notify Cyngor Gwynedd Council’s relevant departments about the condition of the community’s roads, bridges, street lighting, rights of way etc.
- the Council has representatives on the governing bodies of Ysgol Aber-soch, Foel Gron and Sarn Bach, as well as the Trustees of Capel Newydd, Nanhoron
- the Council works in partnership with community and voluntary groups for the benefit of the environment and the community.